Why I Volunteer for Literacy Kansas City


snippet from a spread from Sophie and Sadie Build A Sonnet, illustrated by me and written by Amanda St.John

On the the Artists Helping Artists radio show Dreama Tolle Perry and Leslie Saeta mentioned this list of blog post ideas from Barney Davey's site. So today's topic is inspired by this list.

I began volunteering for Literacy Kansas City, an adult literacy organization, about a year and a half ago. I had always been interested in literacy volunteering and when all my kids left home I thought it would be a good time to volunteer.  I took the 16 hour training, learned many things about literacy and had my first student assigned.  I currently have a wonderful student who I very much enjoy and who inspires me in so many ways. Battling several strokes and other challenges in her life, she persists in her reading lessons. Would I have the courage and perseverance that she has if faced with the same things? I'm not sure.

I really admire my student's strength, her teachability at midlife and her sense of humor. Besides being student and teacher, we are friends.
Reading well can change a person's life, but being a tutor has truly enriched my life. I live a broader and more grateful life for having been a literacy tutor. Thank you LKC.